Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Wedding Show


I know that I still owe anyone who actually ever checks this blog pictures from Christmas, but if I wait until I manage to do that, I will be so far behind on what is currently happening that I will never catch up.





















Last week Jeff and I did the big wedding show at the Sundome. Really I did it, and Jeff came along because I begged and threatened otherwise (and maybe I threw a few cupcakes, but I have horrible aim so that doesn't really count). You would have thought that I was dragging him to an arts and crafts fair in an elementary school gym! But when we got there, and he saw all the big tents and huge displays, he changed his tune. Next year, he says, we will have to do an ice sculpture, and have food samples (don't ask what happened to this year's food samples). I have to say that I don't quite care what he plans for next year, as long as it is we and not me. He really was helpful, even chatty at the show. It went very well, and I can't blame him for not understanding. It's not like he'd ever been or conceived of going to a wedding show before.



So after much research (thoroughly fantastic that searching wedding websites and magazines all day counts as work) I decided on a black, white and pink display with a patterned table linen. Black is supposed to replace brown this year, and patterns are completely haute--at least from what I "studied". I really tried to keep it simple because I didn't want to go over the top this year; the purpose was to test the waters. But we (I) received really positive feedback. The strawberries were a particular hit, as were the table linens, and the cupcakes. I couldn't understand the fuss over the cupcakes--I literally slapped frosting on them and rolled them in sugar while discussing with Jeff the plans for the show the next morning. But so many comments over how sparkley they were (hello, it's sanding sugar!). I had forgotten that I had picked up some beaded flowers, and I found them at the bottom of one of the bags that I brought with us, so I stuck those on top. I do think that it looked great, especially compared to the competition. It was an excellent opportunity to network and introduce people both to our catering and our restaurant.



I spend most of my day talking, debating whether or not Lucy should sit on the potty or shouting, "No Hitting! No Throwing!" I believe that my voice is quite in shape, but I honestly went hoarse by the end of the event, and I was sore that night and the next day. I was so quiet the next day that the kids were honestly giving me strange looks.



Overall I think the best part about this wedding show, is that there is only one a year. We're still tired from it.

2 comments:

Amber said...

How cool! Your display looks great! I'm glad to hear that you're still busy and having fun (and throwing things...even if it is just cupcakes these days! he he he). Keep me posted on all the happenings!!!!

Ditto Family said...

Wow--you overflowth with talent!! I love the display.